Monday, September 5, 2011

The First-Day

Today was my First-Day of school.  I've gotta admit that the whole First-Day mentality hasn't changed much since my last First-Day.  I still had to answer all the pre-First-Day questions.  What am I going to wear?  Who will I sit by?  Will I be a total loser if I pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch?  I didn't have my Mooly to take the compulsory First-Day Picture.  I tried to take one myself.  Actually, I took a video and then tried to get a freeze frame picture from the video.  It didn't work.  So I took this picture just now... it's more of an at-least-I-survived-the-First-Day-and-I'm-glad-to-be-sitting-on-my-couch- kind-of picture.


It's a shame you can't see my perfect First-Day Outfit.

I'm studying full-time at the Irish Bible Institute.  The program is a 3-year degree in Applied Theology.  Classes for first-year students meet all day on Monday and Tuesday.  All day is a long time for someone who's not used to sitting still.  Last night, I was lamenting the burden of being a student again.  Class.  Reading.  Essays.  But this afternoon, during a crash seminar in study skills, I felt the academic bug bite my brain.  The truth is, I love being a student.  I don't love writing the essays, but I love finishing them.  I love the accomplishment of learning.  I love the excitement of challenge.  The lamenting is over.  Bring it on!

I'm excited to have the opportunity to study with such a diverse group of people, all who have a different background than my own.  I anticipate a deeper understanding of my own spiritual awareness as I experience God through my classmates and professors.  And I look forward to deeper insight into the history and future of the Gospel in Ireland.

By the way, they don't sell Lisa Frank in Ireland.  I looked.  It's too bad, really.  Nothing says "Happy First-Day" like a new Lisa Frank notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment