Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why don't you try this fleece on for size?

Gideon says, "Ok God, I know you said you'd save Isreal through me and all, but could you prove you meant what you said?  I'm gonna lay this fleece out for you all night.  In the morning, if there is dew on the fleece and nothing else, then I'll believe you really mean to do what you said you'd do.  Sound good?"  God does it!  Gideon gets up the next morning to find a soaking wet fleece on completely dry ground.  So Gideon looks toward heaven and says, "Listen God, that was really cool... and I don't want to make you mad or anything, but can I ask you for just one more favor?  Would you mind mixing things up, you know, just so I can be absolutely sure?  This time, can you keep the fleece dry and make the ground wet?  That'd be really great."  God does it... again.  Dry fleece.  Wet ground.  Gideon defeats Midian.  Isreal is saved.  God is faithful.

I laid out my own fleece-of-sorts a few days ago.  In all honesty, I didn't expect God to respond to my flagrant ridiculousness.  But He did.  And though I was impressed, it was hard for me to accept that He'd done it on purpose.  Stupid, I know.  And like Gideon, I wanted to be sure.

Tonight, my fleece got all mixed up.  Same fleece.  Opposite results.  I didn't ask for it this time.  Still, it's a strange thing, when your fleece shows up twice.  My only response is to sit here with my jaw on the table, gaping at the fleece laying before me, and let Truth sink in... God is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment