Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm not a pansy anymore.

Does this look like the face of a cold-blooded killer?  Well, tonight it did! 

Mooly was in the kitchen.  I heard her tell Dakota to get back, and then she called for me.  "What is THAT?" She was pointing at something on the floor.  I leaned in for a closer look, afraid that my suspicions would be confirmed.  They were.  "That's a scorpion," I answered. 

I couldn't believe the words that came out next, "Hold Dakota, I'll kill it this time." 

WHAT?!?!?!?!  Was I crazy?  Why couldn't I just make Mooly be the hero again?  Why did I have to prove that I wasn't scared of the scary scorpion?  These were the thoughts running franticly through my mind while I went off to put on my tennis shoes (so the scorpion's nasty tail couldn't sting the top of my foot) and find the orange birki (aka "scorpion death smasher"). 

I nervously walked back into the kitchen.  I got low to the ground, poised in my fighting stance, ready to fight the scorpion.  Mooly looked at me encouragingly, "Just do it, Jo... but not too loud."  Yeah, easy for her to say!  I raised my weapon.  My heart was racing.  SMACK!  And a miss.  SMACK! SMACK!  Another miss.  The scorpion was on the scurry.  One more time.  SMACK!!!!!!!  Dead scorpion.

According to the monitor on my watch, my heart rate had shot up to 122!  Killing a scorpion is serious business.  And since I killed it, Mooly had to clean it off the floor.  So far we remain 2 and 0 against the Scorpions.  Let's hope the winning streak continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment